Monday, November 12, 2012

Happy Miscellaneous Monday!

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  We attended our fifth and final wedding of the 2012 season, and it really couldn't have been a nicer November day celebrating the marriage of two lovely friends....

So it's a true Miscellaneous Monday, where I have a few random notes, thoughts and a recipe suggestion.

First Up, a Visit from My Sibling.

We had the pleasure of having my baby sister, a junior at college, stop by to stay with us for a night.  It's been a while since I was living on campus, but I was reminded of the joys of dorm life when my sister asked whether she could bring her dirty laundry along too...

Besides utilizing our appliances and couch, my sister found time to fill me in on her college classes and told me about her upcoming class project; to abstain from using technology for two whole days.  They were allowed to use electricity, but were not to watch tv, use a computer, use their cell phone, use a credit card and/or an ATM, or even drive their own car.  She sent around an email last night to our family letting us know that she would be off the grid and unreachable until Wednesday. 

How to Survive Without Siri....
As I sat down to think about her project, I realized I couldn't even handle a day without technology.  I certainly couldn't work and my boyfriend would be upset he couldn't watch any sports.  I couldn't blog, couldn't drive anywhere and since I'm terrible about carrying cash would like be unable to make any purchases (seriously, no one wants to take a personal check anymore!)

How long could you survive without technology?

Second Point, Potatoes.

I can't lie.  I am a fan of the potato.  If you know me, you are acutely aware that potato chips are my personal kryptonite.  But during the winter I find myself going to the potato for a delicious starch that fits well with most meals.

To keep the potato respectably healthy, I like to roast them with herbs and spices.  The methodology is simple:

Heat your oven to 425 degrees.  Take a sheet pan and cover with parchment paper.

Cut up some potatoes.  I like to use red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes and leave the skin on.  That said, if you're leaving the skin on, make sure you wash all the dirt off.

Potatoes and Parchment Paper. 

After you cut up the potatoes, place them in a bowl, and add olive oil one tablespoon at time until they are coated, but not too oily.

The necessary seasonings are salt and pepper, but as to what else, the possibilities are endless.  Fresh rosemary is savory and delicious, cumin gives a southwest flavor and red pepper flakes can help turn up the heat.

Place your seasoned potatoes on the parchment paper and place the sheet pan into the oven.  The cooking time varies depending on type of the potato and the size of your chop, but start checking at 30 minutes and every 10 minutes after that.  The potatoes should get nice and golden brown.

Do you have any favorite winter side dishes?

Third: Thanksgiving Preparation

As you are getting ready to plan your Thanksgiving meal (can you believe the holiday is next week, where did 2012 go?), keep in mind that you may be shelling out more dough for the bird.

Turkey Turkey! Courtesy of Alan L.

That's right, because of the droughts this summer, the price of turkey will go up.  While the price differential isn't going to break the bank, you may want to reallocate a few extra dollars out of your Black Friday budget.


With all that said, I'm headed out!  Looking forward to a lovely Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment