Monday, November 29, 2010

Miscellaneous Monday

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and were able to spend some time with friends and family. I had a great few days at my parent's house in Michigan, but am now back in Cleveland and am ready to post!

  • Did you go shopping on Black Friday?  My mom and I woke up at 6 AM, and made it to our local mall by 7 AM.  It was pretty early, believe me, but I didn't find anything in the ads that would make me want to stand in line at 3 AM.
This store was far too busy and crowded for us to venture into
  • This was our first time venturing out for the early morning "doorbuster" and some early spending data indicates there were more people out buying more merchandise.  Early estimates based on credit card data show the spending on Friday may have returned to pre-recession levels.  Always positive.
We were starting to get tired when we re-energized by trying on hats
  • Also, while I was home, my mom made the most delicious Turkey.  She brined it in spices for 24 hours prior to cooking and I must say it was super moist and delicious.  I basically ate nothing but turkey... Anyway, I hope to find out more about this brining process and share it with you all.
A very delicious turkey
  • In the news today, Leslie Nielsen passed away at the age of 84.  Known for his comic performances in "Airplane" and the "Naked Gun" series, Nielsen started his acting career as a serious man starring in a few big screen dramas.  While everyone seems to remember Nielsen's classic "surely" line in Airplane, I will always best remember him in Naked Gun with Anna Nicole Smith when he tries to host the Oscars and the tech crew remarks they should not invite Phil Donahue next year...haha
  • I was fortunate to be invited to join in a recipe exchange via e-mail.  Here's a super easy recipe I received that looks tasty and a great way to use up some leftovers (I'm sure you could make this one with any turkey you still have lying around.)  I haven't tried it yet, but its on my menu plan for the week.
Leftover Chicken Dish
  1. 13 X 9 oblong glass dish
  2. 1/2 of large pkg Wide Egg Noodles cooked according to pkg directions
  3. 1 large sweet onion, cut up in pieces
  4. 1 can sliced mushrooms (or equivalent fresh)
  5. 1 pkg of chopped spinach, thawed (or equivalent fresh)
  6. 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
  7. half cup milk
  8. Equivalent of about half of a cooked chicken, cut/tear up in pieces
  9. Grapeseed Oil or EVOO
  10. Seasoning:  Morton's Nature's Seasoning; Tarragon leaves;
  11. 1 Pkg of shredded cheese (mexican mix is good)
  • Prepare Noodles, drain and set aside, Preheat over to 350
  • In large skillet, sautee the onion and mushrooms in 2 tsp. grapeseed oil or EVOO over med. heat
  • Season with Nature's Seasoning and Tarragon (and whatever other favorite seasoning)
  • Add spinach, mushroom soup and milk, mix all together to sizzling
  • Add chicken pieces, mix some more; reduce heat to low
  • Place noodles in the oblong dish; drizzle LIGHTLY w/oil
  • Mix in your veg/chicken mixture, sprinkle w/shredded cheese
  • Bake uncovered at 350,  20 minutes

Tell me about your adventures over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend!

Looking forward to a terrific Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. During our traditional Thanksgiving day street football game, Todd (aka T.D. Booty) Mannix was critically injured during an interception return for an apparent touchdown. While he lay bleeding in the gutter, we directed traffic a la Leslie Nielsen by instructing passerbys to "Keep moving, nothing to see here!"

    ReplyDelete