Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happy (Snowy) Pumpkin Wednesday!

Hello everyone and Happy Pumpkin Wednesday!

I have to admit I was very thrown off by the weather today.  This morning when I left for work it was temperate and sunny. I had planned on writing about tips for storing your winter clothes as you bring out your spring wardrobe.  However, by the time I left work tonight, there was no sun, a bit of wind, and a respectable amount of snow.

Ok not this much snow, but you get the point, snow in late March, no good.

Needless to say, it seems unlikely that I can pack up my sweaters and other winter gear at this point, so I will save that post for another (hopefully sunny) day.

But even thought I am thrown off by the weather, Pumpkin and I cannot leave you without some kind of helpful tips!

Certainly I can help you, right after I play with this feather

Pumpkin's Tips for Today Relate to Cooking and Garbage

First, the cooking
  • How to Keep Fresh Ginger Fresh
I have been making lots of stir fry dishes lately because they are versatile and I usually have most of the ingredients handy.  However, I feel like every stir fry is better with fresh peeled ginger root.  The only problem is the ginger gets gross in the refrigerator, and sometimes so gross I can't discern what it is anymore.

To combat the rotting ginger problem, wrap the ginger tightly in plastic wrap or press n seal and place in the freezer.  It will keep for a few weeks and you only have to take it out a few minutes before chopping.  

  • As to Garbage
I really hate it when the garbage can smells but I can't stand the artificially scented garbage bags.  A neat trick my mom passed on to me is to take the perfume inserts from magazines, open them up, and place them in the bottom of your trash cans.  It works great in your smaller trash cans in your bathroom and office area.  The perfume smell helps neutralize any trash stink and isn't too terribly overpowering.

No stinky garbage in here.  Just one small Kitty.

Do you have any tips for keeping fresh foods fresh for longer?  And who takes the trash out at your house?


Looking forward to sunshine and warmer temperatures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment