Monday, December 27, 2010

I'm a Traveling Woman


This week I am on vacation with my family in Vail, Colorado.  My brother, Will, moved with a friend out to Colorado to work at a ski resort.  He is starting medical school in the Fall of 2011, but is taking this year to make a little money and spend some time snowboarding out west.  Because the mountain needs so much staff, Vail Resorts hires recent college graduates and gives them perks like free skiing, discounts at Vail retailers and discounted ski tickets for your extended family.  

So, my mom, dad, sister and I are spending the week with him.  This means traveling from Detroit to Denver to Vail, and it also means packing.  Normally when I travel it’s only for a few days and I usually try to make sure my items fit in a carry-on bag.  This trip though requires ski gear plus clothes plus skis, so I had to check not one, but two bags.

Checking bags is not cheap.  There are a few websites that let you know the fees per bag and the airline restrictions.  In some situations the bag fees may influence what airline you ultimately select.  

By nature I overpack.  My mom thinks its because I don’t plan and can’t match my clothes, but I think it’s because I like to have choices of what to wear depending on my mood.  Nevertheless, I do have a few good packing tips to share so you can keep that checked luggage under 50 pounds!

  • Roll your clothing.  I’m not sure if I read this tip somewhere or saw it on a movie (I love Up in the Air), but it saves more space than laying your clothing flat.

  • When checking bags, remember to put your shampoo and other liquid products in two sets of plastic bags.  I know that seems crazy but there is nothing worse than getting to your destination and having your shampoo explode all over your clothes.
  • Again, when you are checking bags, make sure you pack your essentials in your carry on.  Heaven forbid your luggage gets lost, you will still be able to brush your teeth and apply deodorant.  I always make sure to keep my makeup bags with my carry on, so even if my clothes aren’t that clean, at least my face can look fresh.

  • Really, you should work on planning ahead to take only as much as you need.  I am not perfect, but I am working to try to only bring the essential items and a few outfits.
  • If you are taking electronics in your checked baggage or placing locks on your suitcases, make sure you are current on the TSA rules you must follow. Also, make sure you follow these guidelines  to know what you are prohibited from bringing in both your carry on and your checked baggage. 
And as a random fun fact, in the bathroom drawer I found a pack of matches from Cleveland, more specifically from the Mayfield Smoke Shop in Little Italy.  It was nice to find a random reminder from home....

I can't get the pictures to post because the internet is a bit patchy here.  I'll hopefully do better tomorrow.

-What are your procedures for a successful travel experience?

-Looking forward to a wonderful Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment