Thursday, December 30, 2010

Vacation Breakfast

First, thanks to Tim for Guest Blogging on Pumpkin Wednesday!  I'm glad to know she is learning a lot about college football while I am away. 

I'm still on vacation and am enjoying my late morning starts.  And, even though I'm on vacation I'm not adverse to cooking.  I had eggs yesterday so this morning I settled on making some french toast.  However, we don't have a fully stocked pantry so I had to make something to take the place of syrup.  I added some banana topping for a delicious and sweet morning breakfast.   

I made 1.5 pieces of toast with this recipe, but feel free to add more, just use the same proportions.

French Toast
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Butter

Banana Topping
One Banana
Cinnamon
Sugar
Butter

Get out a frying pan and put in enough butter to coat the pan.  Dredge the bread in the egg and place in the pan.  Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until both sides are browned.

Perfectly Cooked

While the french toast is cooking, prepare the banana topping.  Cut the banana into small slices.  Add the butter to a small pan and let it melt.  Add the bananas and cook over medium heat.  Mix together sugar and cinnamon, using 3 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon.  Add the cinnamon sugar mix to the bananas and cook for about 5 minutes until the sugar is bubbly and the bananas are soft.  Just be careful the sugar doesn't burn and the bananas don't break down into total mush.

Sliced bananas with cinnamon and sugar

Add the banana topping to your french toast and enjoy!

I added some cinnamon sugar on top for good measure

How do you fancy up your french toast?

-Hope everyone enjoys their time off for the holidays!

1 comment: