Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope you all had a nice day watching football and spending time with family and friends.

One of our family traditions is to eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day.  I am not totally sure where the tradition started, but my dad, who is from Texas, claims it is a Southern Tradition.  This article states the tradition dates back to the time of the Civil War and a few good spoonfuls are thought to bring luck and prosperity for the whole year.

So today I share with you my dad's easy recipe for New Year's Black Eyed Peas.

Buy a bag of dried peas.  Soak the beans in water and 7-Up (or any lemon-lime soda) overnight.  Put the peas in the liquid on the stove and add some bacon.  I'm sure you could also add onions, but my dad hates onion, hence our use of just bacon.

Season with salt and pepper and bring the beans to a boil.  Cook for about an hour and then reduce the heat.  There isn't an exact science, but cook the beans until they are soft, but not falling apart.

Eat up for Good Luck!

The more you eat, the more luck you will have, so I recommend eating at least a spoonful!

What are your family traditions for celebrating the New Year?

-Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. A German tradition is to eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. I can handle the pork, but the sauerkraut always makes me shiver...

    ReplyDelete