Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Quick and Easy Recipe

I really love cooking.  I know some people find it to be a lot to after a day of work/school/childcare, but I think it's relaxing.  Call me crazy, but that's just how I am....

Today's quick and easy recipe is for homemade salsa/pico de gallo.  My friend Michael makes delicious salsa and is the inspiration for today's post.  And I know tomatoes are typically best in the summer, but vine ripened tomatoes were on sale at the grocery store this week, so hence my need to buy and use them.

Here are the ingredients you will need:

  • 1 onion, I used a white onion
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 jalapeno
  • some cilantro
  • Juice of a half of a lime
  • Salt and Pepper
Get out your knife and cutting board, chop chop chop away all the ingredients, combine in a bowl and it's great if the ingredients have time to meld together in the refrigerator.  Also, feel free to change the amount of ingredients, i.e. if you prefer less onion, there are no hard and fast rules.  Oh, again, be careful with the jalapeno if you are sensitive to heat.  You can always add more, but it's hard to take away if you put in too much.  Likewise, don't add the seeds if you don't love spicy.

Your salsa will keep for a few days and can be added to salads, meats or anything else your heart desires.

What are you creative ways for using salsa?

-Looking forward to Pumpkin Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Or, you can cheat the chopping and buy the Chop Wizard (http://www.amazon.com/Vidalia-Chop-Wizard-VOWR-2/dp/B000I6JZWA). True, it does bruise the veggies, but since you are trying to extract the juices from them, that's not an issue in the same way as it would be if you were serving them as a garnish or wanted to keep the integrity of the veggie.

    ReplyDelete