Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lazy Thursday

I've had a pretty long day and it's sad but it's 9:00 I am ready to go to bed.  But before I head to sleep, I wanted to share a recipe for a healthy "fried" rice I made for dinner tonight.  This recipe was very simple and quite satisfying, so next time you are looking for an easy throw together meal, consider making this Fried Rice from Ellie Krieger's cookbook, The Food You Crave.

The recipe is actually called "Fried Rice with Scallions, Edamame and Tofu" but I made some substitutions to work with the ingredients I had here, so I give you my version....  "Fried Rice with Scallions, Peas and Chicken"

Ingredients
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil
3 large cloves garlic, minced
4 scallions cut thinly, use green and white parts
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
4 cups leftover, or just cooked, brown rice
3/4 cup finely diced red pepper
3/4 cup frozen peas partially thawed
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into small pieces
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons soy sauce

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in small saute pan.  Place chicken in pan and cook until no longer pink.  You can season the chicken however you like, I ended up using quite a bit of ginger to flavor the chicken.  After chicken is cooked, set aside.

In a wok heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil until it is hot but not smoking.  Place scallions, ginger and garlic in pan and saute until fragrant.  Next add the rice, red peppers, peas and corn and stir/incorporate for about 5 minutes or until everything is heated through.  Make a hole in the middle of the rice and pour in the beaten eggs.  Let the eggs cook until they are almost cooked to the level of scrambled.  Then incorporate the egg throughout the mixture.  Add the chicken into the pan and incorporate it into the mixture.  Lastly, add the 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and stir until it evenly coats the mixture.

This is a dish best served hot!  I found the flavors very clean and the meal was extremely filling.  It is much healthier than my other fried rice recipe, and much of that is due to simply using brown instead of white rice.

Do you have any favorite dishes you have found a healthier version of?

-Tomorrow is Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I am trying this out this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete