Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fall Cleaning

Now that summer seems to be officially over (at least here in Cleveland) I am forced to tackle my most hated task, putting away my summer clothes.  There is something so simple about getting dressed in the summer.  Throw on a pair of shorts, or a cute sun dress and you are out the door.  Once fall hits you have to decide if you will be dressing for cuteness or warmth, always a difficult choice.  As I am cleaning out my closet, and putting my strappy sandals on the top shelf of the closet, I started thinking about other products I use that don't change with the seasons, but that definitely have a shelf life.

Let's start with the disposable toothbrush.  The American Dental Association advises you should get a new disposable toothbrush every three to four months.  My main problem is that I never remember when I started using a new toothbrush, but apparently when the bristles are starting to look worn, it is a sign your disposable toothbrush needs to go...

Sponges, both bath and kitchen, most certainly have an expiration date.  This article recommends if you can't remember the last time you replaced your bath sponge, it's most likely time for a new one.  And don't be fooled because you have a mesh sponge, those are also susceptible to the bacteria that like to grow in bathroom areas (they should be replaced every 8 weeks).  If you don't like the thought of throwing a sponge away, you can always switch to a washcloth, fully cleanable in your washing machine.

As for the ol' kitchen sponge, I'm far more aware of when it needs to get tossed, usually because it has stunk up the entire room.  But according to those in the know, your kitchen sponge should be replaced every week or two.  Experts also suggest disinfecting that sponge using a tablespoon of bleach in a quart of water.

For the ladies out there, I know cosmetics can be pricey, but don't hold onto that mascara for too long.  While we all know the tube of eye make-up is no longer good when it is dried out, Consumer Reports Health Blog suggests you throw out your tube every three months.  

And finally, you may be surprised to learn that the carton of milk in your fridge can be consumed past the "sell by" date.  According to the Dairy Council of California milk should last 5 to 7 days past the "sell by" date assuming you stored the milk in a working refrigerator.

So next time you are using some of your disposable products, try to remember the last time you replaced them and if you can't, consider it a sign....

 With that in mind, what is your best (and likely embarrassing_, "whoops I should really have thrown that away" story?

-Halfway through the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment