Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pets and their Fur

One of the few downfalls of having a pet is most certainly the pet hair.  Not a day goes by that I don't have to double check my outfit, my bag or my shoes for black and white fur.

Despite my best efforts of disciplining the Pumpkin, it is nearly impossible to restrict her from certain parts of the apartment...

The Desk Chair

My shoes


Even my papers

Needless to say, I cannot control the cat.  But I do have to control the cat hair so I will not be deemed a cat lady simply by my appearance.  My current strategies are:

  • Vacuum. A lot.  I have two vacuums, a trusty Oreck upright for the floors, and a GE canister vacuum with attachments for the furniture.  
    • I have always been fascinated by this, the Dyson Pet Hair Vac.  But in doing some research I stumbled onto the Consumer Reports Blog, (which gives you just enough information to make you want to subscribe for all the content and product ratings) that doesn't rate the Dyson vacuum as the best in its class.   Yet another lesson to make sure you do your research before you make any appliance purchase.
  • Dryer sheets.  If something has cat hair on it, I can always give it a quick toss in the dryer with a dryer sheet or two.  Something about science and static electricity makes this work, although this method is not foolproof.
  • Lint Rollers.  I have two.  One by where I keep my car keys, and one in my car.  You can never be too sure that you haven't contaminated your hair with cat fur.
    • Although I have never used this product Consumer Reports also suggests the Pledge Fabric Sweeper is the best inexpensive method for pet hair removal from small surfaces like couches and chairs.  If you're skeptical, take a look at this in-home test.
As I am proof-reading this post, I realize I do sound like a crazy cat lady.  But the goal here is to share information, so all you other 20-something cat ladies/pet owners, what are your secrets for keeping your pet's excess fur to a minimum?

-Almost to the weekend!


5 comments:

  1. Obviously I had a life fail today and should have read your blog before walking out the door as I am currently sitting at my desk covered in Cat hair :) However I just had to comment and say that the Pledge Fabric Sweeper changed my life forever... it is amazing, I highly suggest you buy one!!

    Love the blog- can't wait for your winter wear post, hehehehe

    xoxo-Glynis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does your cat always look so angry in pics? Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect way to not face this,or any of these issues, IS TO NOT HAVE A CAT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why yes this is true, I could go without having a cat, but what would I write about on Wednesday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one cat lady to another Linds, you need a "Furminator". It is a comb type thing that gets all the underfur. Pumpkin will look like you never brushed her a day in her life when you get done, the pile will be so huge, but it will certainly cut down on hairballs and fur on your clothing/furniture. Kind of expensive, watch for sales in the pet store/ebay - or a lovely Christmas gift from Pumpkin's Grandma! :)
    Love the blog Linds!

    ReplyDelete