Thursday, September 30, 2010

Late Night Snack

One of my major vices is salt.  I love a good savory snack and prefer a potato chip to a cookie.  So in the spirit of salty snacks I present to you the best evening snack, popcorn.

Delicious Popcorn!

But I won't settle for microwave popcorn (one reason is because I don't have a microwave); I only like my popcorn made on the stove.  I can't describe why homemade popcorn is sooo much tastier, but it's easy to make and makes me feel better that I can avoid some of the unfamiliar ingredients in a bag of the microwave stuff.

To make this excellent snack, head to the grocery store and buy a bag of popcorn kernels and some corn oil.  You can substitute vegetable oil if you don't have corn oil.  Pour about a tablespoon (make sure the bottom of the pan is covered) of oil into your medium sized sauce pan and heat on high.  Once the oil is hot, but not boiling, drop in your popcorn kernels and let the magic happen.  Throw the top on the pot and let the kernels go until you don't hear anymore popping sounds.  Remove from the heat and put into a large bowl. I usually just add salt, but you can melt some butter and toss with the hot popcorn.

Now that you have your popcorn, watch some Thursday night TV/football and get ready for the last day of the work week!

If you aren't reaching for popcorn, what is your favorite late night/tv snack?

-Tomorrow is Friday!


1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious. Parmesan cheese is also good on homemade popcorn. I want an air popper soo bad. Also, the other day I bought some cheddar called "XXX Sharp Cheddar". It is the most delicious cheddar I have ever had and it is made right here in upstate NY. It's Yancey's Fancy, not sure if they carry that at giant eagle...

    ReplyDelete