Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tornadoes and Voicemails

There is probably nothing more exciting than getting a voicemail these days.  It seems reasonable to think there is something important when someone in today's age of fast texting and twittering actually takes the time to leave you their name, number and a detailed message.  

So today I was pleasantly surprised when I reached into my bag after being away from my phone for 2 hours to find I had not just one, but two voicemails!  As I dialed in and entered my password though, the messages I got were not a job, or a long lost call from a friend, but were a pre-recording from my little sister's college!

Being the overprotective big sister, I immediately panicked after voicemail number one told me there was a threat of severe weather in the area her college is located.  But voicemail two most certainly kicked my anxiety into high gear!  The recording on the phone just wanted to alert me that there was a tornado warning in the county where her college is located, but not to worry they would be seeking shelter!

I quickly hung up and called my sister, who seemed a little bit nervous, but was feeling more upbeat since the RA's let everyone leave the basement of her dorm room! BAH!

What does this have to do with anything besides me being a nervous wreck at the age of 25?  After all was said and done, these two voicemails were my cue that I was listed as one of my sister's emergency contacts.  Good to know, for all future emergencies and times of inclement weather.

To make my anxiety seem productive, I'd recommend everyone makes sure your ICE (in case of emergency) numbers in your cell phone are up to date, and throw a little card with your emergency contacts in your wallet.  And for good measure, make sure you let your emergency contacts know they are in fact your lifeline :)

Also, in preparation for the last day of the work week, here is my favorite commercial on TV.  Enjoy!

-Can't wait for the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. So important the ICE--don't forget to put that info on your phone!

    ReplyDelete